Prayer and hard work accomplishes everything!

As a child I watched my mom work hard. As a child I learned the meaning of hard work. Growing up in a typical single parent home in a urban neighborhood, I believed that my brothers sister and I had it better than many of the people in our neighborhood because we had a mother that worked hard and showed us the meaning of hard work. We never wanted for anything. Our basic needs were always met, and wants were met with lessons of hard work and working for what you want in life.

I can recall my brothers wanting the latest shoes and their were costly, so my mother encouraged them to work for what they wanted. They began to cut grass, this in turn allowed them to contribute to what they wanted instead of just being handed things in life. This taught us the value of hard work.

For the longest I had the most ugliest teeth, and financial and other reasons caused me to refrain from getting fixed. As long as I can remember I have always felt like I was an ugly person. I was called ugly so much as a child, I think I almost believed I was really ugly. I have a big forehead, and my teeth was always the topic of a conversation. I was bucktooth because I suck my lip which causes an overbite. I didn't really believe I was actually a pretty person until I was 18 in college when I met two of my best friends, Deuce and Jerzee. For some reason things became different for me. Although braceface in college, I felt pretty and unbeknowing to me my teeth were decaying underneath my braces.

I remember a real frantic call to my mom from the Towers dorm room at Alabama State University after I was enjoying a sub from Subway, I realized that a whole tooth came out after I took a bite. I was devastated, I didn't know what to do but cry. My mouth was falling apart and my mom was hundreds of miles away. I remember her assuring me on the phone that when I come home on break we would get it fixed.

After returning home from the Walt Disney World internship my financial aid was defaulted which put my education on a hold for a while and I had to find a job. I began to work yet I realized that finding insurance to fixed my damaged teeth was going to be a task. Through my brother I found a discount plan and was able to get the prices cut almost in half; this helped out exponentially. Once I found the insurance, then began the search for a dentist. I found AllCare dentist. It was conveniently located between my job and my home and it offered free exam and x-ray. I check out the reviews online and seen that they were sort of reputable and the prices were some what affordable for the work that I knew that I needed done.

I called and setup my appointment. The initial experience was warm and welcoming. I had a recurring income and was able to make the payments as needed. I was satisfied with the outcome as far. Then I had scheduled an appointment for a root canal. The day of the appointment, I arrived at AllCare and was told that the doctor was not there today and asked to take my money so that it would be paid next time I come. I declined and rescheduled my appointment. One week later AllCare was on the news for fraud. They had packed up, closed down and many people were left with questions with no answers.

After receiving my STNA and getting insurance, I decided to try a private dental office with belief they would be much more reputable and my mouth would be treated with care. After making an appointment and meeting the dentist I was met with met dismay. The The dentist courteously examined my mouth and properly described as the worst mouth he has ever seen. I wanted to cry in the chair. He went on to fix a filling on one tooth as he continued to tell me how bad my teeth was. I then received a bill in the mail and each time it was gently placed in the trash.

Becoming discouraged with my look, and not understanding how I continued to get that I'm pretty and that I have a beautiful smile I began to give up until I found Aspen Dental. The original examination estimated my mouth to need over $14,000 worth of work done to it and that's not including orthodontics that may or may not be needed. I am still unable to come to an understanding how I have come this point after using such good hygiene, however I am determine for a better smile to look  pretty in my eyes.

I believe I am the only person in the world that enjoys going to the dentist. I enjoy it not because of the pain that I experience or the long hours that I spend or the money I spend. I enjoy going to the dentist because I can smile now. I can smile without deleting a picture. I can smile without being ashamed of myself. I've heard someone tell me I am beautiful or that I am pretty, but now I CAN CONFIDENTLY LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND KNOW THAT I AM PRETTY! Because I worked hard for this. I worked hard for this smile, and if I have to cut back on something or not eat or drink something at all or began eating or drinking something in order to maintain this smile; I will do whatever it takes. Though I still have more work to be done. God has blessed me, and I can feel it I believe it I AM PRETTY!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Remember?