Edujourney

In Just one week, I will be returning to school for Antioch University Midwest Teacher Licensure and Master's program, and quite frankly, I am just a little excited. While school for many can be daunting, I find school a rewarding process, though it does has its ups and downs and can be challenging at times.

After going to Walt Disney World internship in Orlando, instead of attending Alabama State University for my junior year, I did not realize that it was going to be a journey for me to return to school. I thought I understood everything with financial aid and I would be in deferment still considering I was doing an internship and was technically still in school, however, I was wrong and when I returned home from the internship and was ready to return to school, I was left with dismay. My students loans had fallen into default, and Alabama State University had a hold on everything. I wanted to return to Alabama State University, but I was unable to. I began to receive horrible phone calls from sallie mae asking me when I was going to pay on my loans. I spent many hours on the phone trying to figure out how to return to school, yet August had arrived and I was still unable to resolve the financial issues that occurred. So, I settled back home for a small stint.

I found a job working at Burger King. It was a job and that was all it was. Burger King allowed me to grow as a woman. While working at Burger King, I got my license and subsequently got me a car. I worked at Burger King for about a year and a half. It was not long before I realized that there was no money in fast food unless you were the owner. Working at Burger King also allowed me to come to the realization that there was a difference between a job and a career. Although many has made Burger King a career, I had considered Burger King a job (a stepping stone, temporary replacement until something better comes along). A career cashier as Burger King barely made much to pay rent, therefore I made a career change and became a nursing assistant.

I spent a total of five years collectively as a nursing assistant. When I moved to Atlanta, I worked at a nursing home, and if that was the first place that I have ever worked as a nursing assistant, I don't think that I would have continued to be a nursing assistant as long as I did. As a nurses aid, I felt like my job was rewarding, yet I did not feel fulfilled. I have always enjoyed learning. Even as a child I would read the dictionary, and I used to love reading encyclopedia's (I really disliked when they went out of print). Looking around still trying to find a solution to my school situation. I had since consolidated my loans and they were out of default, but I had still owed ASU $1700. I was being very stubborn about for a long time, and although I know that I am right and ASU could have waived the fee, I just wanted to go back to school. I paid Alabama State University, and all holds was released. I found a online school and signed up right away.

Ashford University gave me the opportunity to return to school, when I was beginning to feel hopeless. I just wanted to learn, however I was forced to take a brief break. I began to feel inadequate and as if life was passing me by, but Ashford lifted my spirits. Though I began to attend Ashford University, I was two years into the program before I had paid ASU off and I had to repeat several classes that I knew could have transferred over if I had access to my transcripts. I complained, I whined, I moaned, but finally last year, in 2014 I flew to San Diego, California and my mom and my sister watch me walk across the stage with my bachelors of arts in Education.

My education journey has long, but it hasn't finished yet. As tumultuous as the last 10 years was, I am hoping for continued blessings and wisdom to tackle the challenges a long the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey...... So far..............