It Takes A Village

I graduated high school in 2005. It has been 15 years since I graduated high school. I graduated high school in May and in August my mom, siblings and I were packed up headed for Montgomery, Alabama. I did not know anyone in Montgomery, Alabama. I knew that it is was where the Bus Boycotting began in the 1950's. I knew that there were probably still racial disparities running rampant throughout the city of Montgomery, Alabama; mostly because it was the south. I knew that there were going to be plenty of Black people there, and that is what I wanted to be around. Last but not least, I knew it was hot. One of the most important things about choosing to go to Montgomery, Alabama to go to The Alabama State University was "the application was free." I was also pretty happy about the tuition. It was fairly cheap to be out of state college. 

Before the car was packed and my mom, siblings and I were in the car and was ready to head down south for the first time; I had to prepare. 

I decided last minute that I was going to go to The Alabama State University since my plans with the Army fell through (I was too small). Overdrive kicked in for my mom. She told me not to worry. She worked nonstop for like three and a half weeks, and I got my tuition. I was going to The Alabama State University. My mom was exhausted. She had worked shift after shift while continuing to take care of my Annie and Uncle Otis, (Well Uncle Otis passed away in December of 2004) and my siblings and I. 

Tuition was paid, yet that was half the battle. My mom had told her coworkers and friends why she was working her so hard, and the village kicked in. I did not lack anything when it came to what I needed for school. My mom's coworkers all pitched in and I had a microwave, linen, iron and iron board. Any and everything that I needed, I had. My village showed up and showed out. I was so grateful for all that I had, I did not feel the need to want for anything because it was by the Grace of God that I was able to even get what I had. I continue to be grateful for my village because without the village I can honestly say, I would not had made it to The Alabama State University. 

God bless you with a family, however through connections and community you create a village. Your village is there to ensure that you grow and excel. Those in a village, look out for there children, whether it be the children that they birth or the children within their community or children that they have made connections with. 

Today, I find that the village has dissolved or dissipated. It has become more difficult to discipline or reprimand someone else child. People have become more independent relying on themselves and less dependent on others despite the success of community. The village has dwindled into self - centered individuals that has allowed circumstantial situations to cloud their judgments and stifle their growth, in-turn stifling their own children growth. 

We need the village in order for us to continue to build Ujima (cooperative work and responsibility). It is the village the increases our chances of success. Woe is the individual that goes at it alone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random rant...........