Poem A Day: Dear Ol' Gem

This poem Dear Ol Gem, is a part of my first book I published, The Dwindling of a Once Prosperous City, which is also available on Amazon for purchase. 

DEAR OL’ GEM 

A look at Dayton’s skyline gives me great pride, 
As I fly down highway 75 
I knew I was home as I passed touchdown Jesus, 
And then the Cooper tires building, 
But like other things of my childhood it was gone; diminished, 
The city I had once known was turning into a ghost town, 
A city where the Salem Mall once flourished,
 And created employment and hangout spots for neverending enjoyment, 
NCR, Mead, GM of Moraine, the economy hit like a bad basketball game, 
Business closing, houses foreclosing, 
Competing with people 2 and 3 times my age for jobs, 
Stress has people thinking the only way out is to rob, 
Running away from what was once home,
 Leaving behind what I once known,
 Memories of you will forever reside in my memory, 
Away I am but I have this empty feeling 
To my dear ol’ gem, oh Dayton to you the diadem, 
Through the trials you prevailed, 
And I can always with a smile at heart claim as where I hailed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem of the Day: Will Tomorrow Ever Come